Skip to content

Living with Deafblindness

Understanding Your Rights

There is a Higher Education Disability Support Program. This program is government funded. Some education providers can get funding from this program. This funding supports students with disabilities. This starts at enrolment and continues through their course.

Accessing Further Education

Educational establishments must provide equal rights for post school options for students with disability (aged 15 to 64). This means that education and training must be accessible. The education establishment must make sure that students with disability do not experience discrimination based on their disability.
When considering further education, students should be accessing advice and support from Disability Services in the training establishment. It may be possible to access advice, support and grants through the higher education disability support programs. Facilities include:
  • TAFE
  • Universities
  • Registered Training Organisations
This may assist in the transition to higher education studies.
Educational establishments must follow these Acts:
  • Commonwealth Disability Standards for Education 2005
  • Disability Discrimination Act 1992
  • The Higher Education Support Act 2003 – Other Grants Guidelines (Education) 2012

Direct Support

Some examples for direct support to assist students with disabilities in their studies include:
  • sign language interpreters.
  • course materials or lecture notes made available in alternative formats. Examples include Braille or large print.
  • making course materials or lecture notes accessible to use with technology. Some examples might be screen reading, scanning, Braille transcription software, or audio formats.
  • tutorial support (more tutoring).
  • note taker/scribe support.
  • help during examinations/assessments (at a separate location with extra invigilators as appropriate).
  • provision of equipment or assistive technology. Examples include adaptive software and/or computer equipment, communication device, specialist tape-recording or digital voice recording devices.

Pensioner Education Supplement

Financial assistance for pensioners may also be available to support part-time or full-time study of secondary or tertiary courses.


Access to some financial assistance may be possible to support Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders who are Australian citizens and normally living in Australia. Financial assistance can support them to study an approved course or take on an apprenticeship.  Further information can be found at Services Australia | ABSTUDY.