Skip to content

About Deafblindness

Knowing Your Rights

Commonwealth, Federal and State legislation is in place to ensure that people with disabilities, and the people who care for them, have the same rights and access to opportunities as all other citizens in Australia.
The following Act provides a national legal framework for support and services to be made available to people living in Australia who have disabilities.

The Commonwealth Disability Services Act 1986


Government funding is allocated to each State for provision of services to people with disabilities.

State Legislation

State Government agencies are also governed by legislation therefore some differences in eligibility and service provision will exist.

Australian Capital Territory

Disability Services Act 1991 (ACT)

New South Wales

NSW Disability Services Act (DSA) (1993)

Northern Territory

Northern Territory Disability Services Act 1993


Disability Services Act 2006 (reprinted 1 July 2012)

South Australia

Disability Services Act 1993


Tasmanian Disability Services Act 1992


Disability Act 2006

Western Australia

Disability Services Act 1993 (WA)

Disability Discrimination Act 1992 (DDA)

The DDA is an Act passed by the Federal Government and therefore applies to all states of Australia. The Australian Human Rights Commission is responsible for ensuring that the Act is implemented.

Under the DDA anyone with a disability should be given equal opportunities and access to services. It is unlawful to discriminate both directly and indirectly against a person because they have a disability.

A brief guide to the DDA can be accessed on the Australian Human Rights Commission website.

Financial Support

The Australian Government provides the following benefits through Centrelink (eligibility applies):
* Disability Support Pension
* Mobility Allowance
* Age Pension
* Child Disability Assistance Payment (annual payment)
* Carer Payment, Carer Allowance, or Carer Supplement
* People with disabilities may also be eligible to other concessions.

Contact Centrelink (Department of Human Services) for further information.
Tel:  (Disability, Sickness and Carers) 132 717

Eligibility to the Disability Support Pension or Age Pension may entitle a person to other concessions such as the Hearing Services Voucher (national), and local travel concessions, taxi vouchers or parking schemes.

Department of Veterans’ AffairsEx-servicemen and women may be eligible to additional support and concessions through the Government’s Department of Veterans’ Affairs program

Other legislation

The Aged Care Act 1997


Home and Community Care Act 1985